Let’s make Singapore Diabetes free Country
Nature has gifted us many of the natural food & medicine and as a human we tend to move towards artificial world that ruin our health and fitness. We march towards fast foods and eat food cuisines just for taste and forget the importance of health and hygienic food.
Diabetes is the disease that is the root cause of artificial world and is a most dangerous metabolic disease one should avoid. In recent days, Diabetes has been hitting the news, advertisements and Social Media in Singapore very often and thanks to Singapore Government for taking severe measures on controlling Diabetes and its related health issues.
Singapore has declared “war against the diabetes army” and it’s the right time to beat the diabetes army gaining and sharing awareness on how to fight back diabetes in Singapore.
Thought, this would be the ideal time for me to contribute towards this exceedingly spoken issue and create awareness on how to avoid Diabetes and reduce the negative impact caused.
Join my hand as an initial step reading this article to know more about Diabetes and share them as much as you can.
The following article would cover the below listed topics
- What is Diabetes?
- What are their symptoms?
- What are the negative health impacts?
- How do we avoid Diabetes?
Let me introduce myself!
I am Subraa, an Indian by birth and a Freelance Web Designer Singapore. There’s a reason to stress the word” Indian”, as this article covers the solution for Diabetes in Indian way.
Indian cuisines originated from the ancestors who had practiced medicine by nature and had cure for all diseases with their home-made natural treatment. These medical values combined with nutrition based food habits has helped them live healthy long years (average age being more than 80). Diabetes was not a spoken topic those days as they were pre-cautious in my day-to-day activities and food cuisines.
This article would not cover the whole of Indian concepts, rather it is my duty to travel with you from the base of Diabetes, symptoms, health hazards due to Diabetes and best possible natural solutions to fight back this metabolic disease.
What is Diabetes?
In any case, Diabetes isn’t something that need to be categorized as a curable disease, however has to be categorized as a preventable metabolic disease that human faces today.
In Technical terms,
- Impairment in responding to hormone insulin
- Abnormal metabolism of carbohydrates
- Elevated levels of glucose
The threat alarm worldwide is being busy in recent past, as the numbers predict the increase in prey falling to this disease.
What could be the reason for this metabolic disease? – below are my thoughts
- Sedentary lifestyle – Being inactive
- Lacking in exercise
- Consuming high calories
- Consuming high sugary food
- Consuming high fatty foods
- Being Over-weight
Having graduated with best education system and the technology being enhanced to make people lazy, it’s nothing wrong to have your work at desk or having a desk based job. However, it’s not going to help your health at any cause. Should you have no scope to keep your body active in official work hours, it is recommended to act in available external hours to keep our body active with activities such as walking, jogging, doing yoga and many more related activities.
Lacking in exercise:
Exercise keeps our body fit and as discussed before “you feel fresh” after an active exercise. Setting up an in-house gym may not be possible, yet you may register with any fitness Centre to do so. Other simple external exercises contribute towards your health and are very vital.
Consuming high calories:
It’s always necessary to avoid food items that contains high calories to keep you fit and you can do so by doing research on high calories food or registering in any diet program.
Below is the list of food items that contains high calories and those deceive you everyday
- Peanut Butter
- Dark Chocolate
- Salad Dressing
- Potato salad
- Few whole wheat bread – (sometimes contain more calories than a white bread)
- Olive oil
- Refried beans
- Coconut milk
- Chick peas
- Ice cream (non-dairy)
- Condensed milk
For more information visit http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/02/24/high-calorie-foods_n_4849013.html
Consuming high sugary food:
The most dangerous of activity that may cause diabetes is consuming high sugary food and this directly injects health issues inside your body.
Below is the list of food items that contains high sugar
- Full fat yogurt
- Sauce and Ketchup
- Energy Drinks and Chocolate milk
- Coffee and Iced tea
- Canned fruit and Baked beans
- Smoothies and Cereals
For more information visit http://www.healthline.com/nutrition/18-surprising-foods-high-in-sugar
Consuming high fatty foods:
More the fat in our body, more the chances of getting Diabetes. It is required to cautious once we have our food.
Below is the list of food items that contains high fat
- Egg Yolks
- Dark Chocolate
- Fatty Fish
- Coconut oil
- Yogurt (with full fat)
For more information visit http://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-super-healthy-high-fat-foods#section1
Should you consume above mentioned high calories, high sugar and high fatty food items, you are certainly a victim of being over-weighted and Diabetes as well.
In the following sections, let’s discuss about the symptoms of diabetes and how Diabetes can be avoided
General Items to avoid during Diabetes:
- Sweet corn
- Brown sugar and raw sugar
- Concentrated fruit juice
- High fructose, maltose and lactose
For more information, visit http://www.diabetesindia.com/diabetes/avoid_foods.htm
Symptoms of Diabetes?
- Are you feeling Hungry always?
- Do you feel yourself weak?
- Do you pee more and feel thirsty?
- Do you get dehydrated and have itchy skin and dry mouth?
- Do you vomit regularly?
- Do you feel pain on your feet and legs?
Should you experience the above listed health issues, you may be a victim of Diabetes and it is recommended to consult your family doctor for a prior checkup.
Why do I Feel Hungry and weak?
Our body is programmed to convert food to glucose and our cells requires insulin to admit the converted glucose into our body. Lack of insulin may stop the glucose enter our body and causing hunger irrespective of higher quantity you eat.
Why do I pee more and feel thirsty?
The glucose gets reabsorbed and pass through kidney increasing the blood sugar to high level. The result being you pee more and more you pee, more the thirsty you get.
Why do I get dehydrated and have itchy skin and dry mouth?
As you pee more, your body lacks in moisture and gets dehydrated with ease. Due to this dehydration, itchy skin and dry mouth would be the negative result.
Why do I vomit regularly?
The burning fats gets resorted by the body resulting in ketones. This ketone makes you sick and resulting in vomiting.
Why do I feel pain on feet and legs?
Once you have all the above symptoms, you feel your body heavier and makes your feet and legs weaker while you walk.
For more information visit http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/guide/understanding-diabetes-symptoms#1
What are the negative health impacts of Diabetes?
You can never under-estimate Diabetes and its related blood sugar issues. Depending on the serious ness level of this metabolic disease, it is categorized into various level
- Type 1 – based on insulin quantity (basically known as immune system disorder)
- Type 2 – based on insulin resistance (due to lack of exercise and diet)
- Gestational diabetes– based on high blood sugar for women during pregnancy
Diabetes may cause damage to our health in many forms, the below list would explain the negative outcomes
- Kidney damage – affecting the ability to filter waste products from blood
- Circulatory system and Heart problem – Diabetes creates high blood pressure and creates more strain on your heart circulatory system
- Skin problems – dehydration, reduction in moisture and high blood pressure impacts in skin problems
- Central Nervous system problem – diabetic neuropathy (nerves damage) and diabetic retinopathy (blood vessel leakage in the eye)
- Reproductive system problem – eclampsia (high blood pressure during pregnancy is always risky)
For more information visit http://www.healthline.com/health/diabetes/effects-on-body
How do we avoid Diabetes?
So far, we have discussed on
- What is Diabetes?
- What are their symptoms?
- What are the negative health impacts?
It’s time to discuss on how to prevent diabetes or preventing the negative effects of Diabetes without reaching the serious health illness. As informed in the initial part of the article, let’s find solution for Diabetes Indian way.
The meal system and food system in India always works having natural medication in background and below are the tips for you to reverse diabetes
Recommended Indian food ingredients:
- Fibre rich fruits and vegetables (apple, pear, orange, guava and papaya contains more fibre)
- Garlic and curry leaves
- Grated coconut
- green peas
- massor dhal
- French beans
- Broken wheat
- Chana and Muri
- Bitter gourd
- Aloe vera
- Amla (Indian Gooseberry)
- Neem leaves
- Drumstick leaves
- Basil leaves
- Tender Mango leaves
Recommended Indian recipes for Diabetes:
- Vegetable Omelete
- Oats soup
- Ragi (idly, Uttapam & dosa)
- Rava (idly & dosa)
- Soya Dosa
- Kambu (choru and koozh)
- Sprouts salad
- Lapsi upma
- Ven Pongal (made od samba rice)
- Mixed vegetable paratha
- Methi paratha
- Red rice puttu
- Wheat puttu
- Hard boiled eggs
- Lemon pepper chicken
- Banana stem soup
- Steamed Broccoli
- Mushroom Soup
- Bittergourd Fry
- Pavakkai Paruppu Kootu
- Raw Banana Yam Bonda
- Black Channa Sundal
- Masala Buttermilk
- Chatpata Vegetable Salad
- Chana Dal Pancakes
- Healthy Dahi Wada
- Methi Misthi paratha
- Diabetic Pumpkin Halwa
- Kesari (Sooji ka Halwa)
- Methi seeds soaked in hot water (overnight)
- Tomato juice with salt & pepper
- Oats, whole grains and high fibre foods combined meals
- Almond soaked in water(overnight)
- Rotis (made of multi grain and longwheat atta)
- Cauliflower curry with coconut
- Fenugreek seeds soaked hot water (overnight)
- Lemon juice in warm water
- Black coffee and Green tea (without sugar)
- Porridge (1 to 2 cups everyday)
- Brown bread with egg whites (avoid egg yolks)
- Wheat flakes and cup of milk
- Chapati with vegetables (vegetables that are rich in fibre)
- Glass of warm milk mixed with ground turmeric (a pinch of ground turmeric is sufficient)
- Flaked rice with banana and milk (avoid using sugar)
- A bowl of rice with fish curry
- Chicken stew (limited quantity)
Curious to know more about these ingredients and recipes visit
Having started this article with emergence of Diabetes awareness in Singapore, this article has covered this metabolic disease from its base reason till the remedies. The below list will summarize the complete article
- Indian ancestors were the masters of food cuisines that included natural medicines by default
- Impairment in responding to hormone insulin, Abnormal metabolism of carbohydrates and elevated levels of glucose define Diabetes
- Sedentary lifestyle, lacking in exercise, consuming high calories, high sugary food, high fatty food makes you over-weighted and becomes the root cause for Diabetes
- Feeling Hungry, weaker & thirsty, peeing more, getting dehydrated, getting itchy skin & dry mouth, vomiting sense, and painful feet and legs are the symptoms of Diabetes
- Diabetes are of various types and can create health hazards such as Kidney damage, circulatory system and Heart problem, Skin problems, Central Nervous system problems and Reproductive system problem for pregnant women
- Fibre rich fruits and vegetables, Garlic, Aloe vera, leaves (such as Neem, drumstick, basil and tender mango leaves), Bitter gourd and other related ingredients help the Diabetes patients stay away from Diabetes negative effects.
- Wheat parathas, phulka, vegetable omelette, soups (such as banana stem, mushroom and oats), dosa (rava and ragi), buttermilk, salads (duch as sprouts and chatpata vegetables), seeds (such as fenugreek and methi) soaked overnight in hot water, sugar less green tea and black coffee are the famous Indian recipes that can help Diabetes patients fight the dangerous metabolic disease.
“Let’s make Singapore the Diabetes free Country and act precisely to fight back the dangerous Diabetes army with proper awareness program”
Thank you for your wonderful time spent on this article and hoping this article would be helpful for the readers. It’s time to say adieu to my beloved readers and all the best for Singapore in this social cause.
Disclaimer: The information shared in this article are from my own experience and recommend the readers to consult your Family doctor before taking any precaution against Diabetes mentioned in this article.